$100,000+p/a pro-rata, 4-day week (8-month parental leave).
In this role, you’ll oversee the creative output through our company, helping to develop a young team to help us on our mission towards becoming Australia’s most trusted dog food brand.
Throughout, you’ll help our voice and visuals to get most bang for buck, and really bring out the joy and cheekiness of dogs and the Scratch brand.
You’ll report to and work with Mike Halligan, our co-founder who’s responsible for our marketing strategy.
The primary result of effective work in this role would be that all of our advertising is more effective and our marketing more profitable. Customers are also likely to feel greater loyalty and favourability to the brand. You’ll create interesting work that makes people smile in a boring old category.
Scratch is a fast-growing brand that makes dog food you can feel good about. Instead of going through stores where there’s tons of mark-ups and long waits in storage, we sell direct on subscription. This lets us know the dog & parent better, put more money into the food, and set an example for how much healthier & trustworthy pet food can be.
This approach has helped us win both Frankie Mag’s 2019 Small Business of the Year and the Online Retail Industries Best Small Independent Business. More importantly, it has meant we’ve also won over tens of thousands of pet parents who trust us with their dog’s nutrition.
Our brand is crafted for a world where dogs have their own Insta accounts and no longer sleep in the yard. We want to capture that passion and create products for those who truly care.
You’ll be responsible for managing and evolving how the Scratch brand and our products are perceived by our customers and Australian dog owners in general.
The Head of Creative role will be less executional and more focused on overall creative effectiveness, while managing a small team responsible for execution.
In short, the ideal candidate will be a great copywriter with good experience in advertising, and a great mentor to emerging creatives. They’ll thrive in a small team with no ego, talented teammates, and an in-house studio to do great work, easily.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Storytelling for new products, events & brand news.
- Copywriting across the brand (advertising and customer comms, not performance marketing or social media).
- Creating and testing advertising taglines and concepts.
- Concepting and organising photoshoots.
- Concepting and organising key video content for organic channels (we have our own in-house studio!).
- Managing direct reports such as video producer, senior designer and community manager.
The right person will be:
- A lot like a good dog (friendly, energetic, fun, smart & loyal).
- An excellent written and verbal communicator.
- Able to spot grammatical errors in this job description.
- Up to speed with the Glossiers, Who Gives a Crap and Oatly’s of this world.
- Self-motivated, thriving with space and responsibility for results.
- Welcoming of analytics & data in any discussion.
- Clear on their beliefs and willing to fight for them, but commit to the teams decision.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape (but maybe with a soft spot for old school long-form copy).
- Committed to helping use business as a force for good in the world.
- A dog person (of course).
Working at Scratch
This is a 4 day per week role (3-day weekends are underrated). Salary is $100,000+ per annum (pro-rata to $80,000 for 4 days) plus super.
This is a maternity contract from July 1, 2022 until March 1 2023, with potential to continue in a full-time copywriting role beyond that.
We treat our humans as well as our dogs – considering the planet, our people, our customers and their pets in everything that we do. Other perks include:
- 5 paid annual days to volunteer at animal shelters/rescues
- Free Scratch food for your dogs
- 3 paid Pawternity days if you bring home a puppy or rescue
- Time off if you have a sick pet (not just dog)
- Flexibility work location
We’re specifically looking for someone Melbourne-based so that you can work closely with our in-house video guy Finn (he’s great) and the studio for producing content.
We have a Melbourne office and in-house creative studio in Collingwood where you’d be working from most of the time, but the majority of the company is remote so definitely no harm in mixing your time or getting away on occasion.
Applying for the role
Applications close on Friday, June 3 with a phone interviews from June 9 – 14 and in-person interviews from June 15 – 17. We aim to make an offer that week, with an ideal start date of early July.
Applications have now closed. Thanks for checking us out 😉