In May 2020 we conducted the largest survey of Australian dogs. We wanted to see how dogs fit into our culture across states and age groups. And we wanted a laugh.
Dogs surveyed: 20,664
Who was surveyed?
We kept this survey open to any Australian dog owner, trying to get the most accurate representation as possible.
Amount of Dogs:
And Australia's most popular breed is...
- Labrador Retriever
- Border Collie
- German Shepherd
- Golden Retriever
We've all heard of the furbaby movement, but we were curious to see if it was a real thing.felt that having dogs reduced their desire for children - something that we saw similarly across all generations.
Dogs bring out the best (and funniest) in us
- There's no way around it. Our dogs have it pretty good!
- Dogs have expensive taste. We spent hours laughing at what they've destroyed.
- We learnt that most dogs are an extension of ourselves, with 3 in 4 people choosing breeds with a similar personality to their own
Is your dog allowed on the bed?
Do you find others more attractive if they have a dog?
You’re in the park. Your dog has just done a big #2. You've run out of bags. But no-one sees. You have nothing on you but there are some leaves around. What do you do?
It's fair to say that we're pretty comfortable with our furry compadres. 45% of us have kept eating an ice cream after their dog took a lick.
Dogs are well and truly part of the family
- 2 out of every 3 Aussies spend more than 6 hours a day with the dogs. We're so needy!
- Dogs are pretty much kids, with over half of Australian dogs getting new toys monthly
- We love dogs for their social nature and emotional intelligence but we were blown away to see how many dogs have their own friends
How much time do you spend in close proximity to your dogs every day?
Do your dogs have friends that you take them to meet?
Do your dogs get gifts under the tree at christmas?
of respondents have made new friends because of their dog!
Australia's 10 most popular dog names