The findings are in! We followed up our first ever Great Australian Dog Survey to see how our dogs and our lives with them have changed since May 2020.
The results will make you laugh, cry and scratch your head - all at the same time!
Dogs surveyed: 12,746
Who was surveyed?
We kept this survey open to any Australian dog owner, trying to get the most accurate representation as possible.
Amount of Dogs:
And Australia's most popular breed is...
- Cavoodle ⬆️2
- Labrador Retriever ⬇️1
- Greyhound ⬆️5
- Border Collie ⬇️1
- Golden Retriever
We've all heard of the furbaby movement, but we were curious to see if it was a real thing.feel that having dogs reduced their desire for children - something that we saw similarly across all generations.
Welcome to all the COVID dogs
- 45% of our respondents had a dog join the family in the past 2 years
- COVID influenced the decision of 36% of those
- 12% of them sometimes regret it
- 19% were rescued and 58% were brought home from a breeder
- Half of us found raising a puppy easy. Half of us found it hard.
How hard did you find it to raise your puppy?
Do you regret not spending more time training them when they were a puppy?
What are your main difficulties with owning a dog?
COVID had a HUGE effect on life for those of us who already had dogs
Pre COVID times - only 22% of respondents spend all day with their dogs.
That doubled to 44% since COVID.
If you were to add another dog to the family, would you consider adoption?
Dogs bring out the best (and funniest) in us
- There's no way around it. Our dogs have it pretty good!
- Dogs have expensive taste. We spent hours laughing at what they've destroyed.
- We learnt that most dogs are an extension of ourselves, with 3 in 4 people choosing breeds with a similar personality to their own
Have you ever thought that your dog could be a part of the LGBTQIA+ family? 🌈
You're in the park. Your dog has just done a big #2. You've run out of bags. But no-one sees. You have nothing on you but there are some leaves around. What do you do?
Dogs are well and truly part of the family
- 2 out of every 3 Aussies have their dogs sleep in the room with them.
- Dogs are pretty much kids, with over half of Australian dogs getting new toys monthly
- We love dogs for their social nature and emotional intelligence but we were blown away to see how many dogs have their own friends
Is your dog allowed on the bed?
65% of dogs sleep in owner’s rooms. Of those who sleep in the owner‘s room - 73% are allowed on the bed, 56% under the sheets
How much time do you spend in close proximity to your dogs every day?
Do your dogs have their own clothes?
of respondents have made new friends because of their dog!
Australia's 10 most popular dog names
- Luna ⬆️4
- Charlie ⬆️1
- Buddy ⬇️3
- Ruby ⬇️3
- Frankie 🆕
- Bella ⬇️4
- Archie ⬆️2
- Molly ⬇️3
- Daisy ⬇️2
- Tilly ⬆️7