Skip to content
Melb & Sydney sign-ups are shipping express, on the house
In May 2020 we conducted the largest survey of Australian dogs. We wanted to see how dogs fit into our culture across states and age groups. And we wanted a laugh.
Dogs surveyed: 20,664
Who was surveyed?
We kept this survey open to any Australian dog owner, trying to get the most accurate representation as possible.
And Australia's most popular breed is...
- Labrador Retriever
- Border Collie
- German Shepherd
- Golden Retriever
We've all heard of the furbaby movement, but we were curious to see if it was a real thing.
felt that having dogs reduced their desire for children - something that we saw similarly across all generations.
Dogs bring out the best (and funniest) in us
- There's no way around it. Our dogs have it pretty good!
- Dogs have expensive taste. We spent hours laughing at what they've destroyed.
- We learnt that most dogs are an extension of ourselves, with 3 in 4 people choosing breeds with a similar personality to their own
Is your dog allowed on the bed?
Do you find others more attractive if they have a dog?
You’re in the park. Your dog has just done a big #2. You've run out of bags. But no-one sees. You have nothing on you but there are some leaves around. What do you do?
It's fair to say that we're pretty comfortable with our furry compadres. 45% of us have kept eating an ice cream after their dog took a lick.
Dogs are well and truly part of the family
- 2 out of every 3 Aussies spend more than 6 hours a day with the dogs. We're so needy!
- Dogs are pretty much kids, with over half of Australian dogs getting new toys monthly
- We love dogs for their social nature and emotional intelligence but we were blown away to see how many dogs have their own friends
How much time do you spend in close proximity to your dogs every day?
Do your dogs have friends that you take them to meet?
Do your dogs get gifts under the tree at christmas?
of respondents have made new friends because of their dog!
Australia's 10 most popular dog names
It's still a human's world. Dogs are just living in it.
We were particularly interested in Australian attitudes towards dogs and their perceived role in society.
- We couldn't believe how many of us believe that first-time dog owners should require mandatory education
- Fancy a drink with your dog by your side? Dog people (which is about 40% of Australians) are ready to relax laws and allow dogs in more places where humans go
- Half of us would take a pay cut to spend more time with our dogs
- We've made progress, but most Aussie workplaces aren't dog-friendly
Do you believe that dogs should be allowed on public transport? Without being in cages or muzzled?
Would you support mandatory education for first-time dog owners?
of Aussie dog owners believe that dogs should be allowed inside cafes and pubs
The Australian government views dogs as objects. Do you think that your dog deserves to be seen as more than ‘property’ by Australian law?
Would you pay 5%+ more rent or more to buy a house, if it was perfectly suited to your dog?
Have you ever lied to a landlord about having a dog?
Would you take a 5% pay-cut to be able to spend more time with your dog during the week?
Is your workplace dog-friendly?
It's not even a choice.
of us would pay the necessary costs to bring their dog if they had to move overseas.
Dogs are the best. Big business? Not so much
- Fewer than 1 in 3 of us trust big dog food company claims
- But more than anything, we turn to nutritional information on packaging to make the best decisions.
- Yet, there is zero regulation on how brands display their information and the claims they can make.
- The government needs to do more and finally create proper pet food regulation
Do you trust the information on dog food packaging?
Where do you buy your dog food?
What influences your decision when choosing what food to buy your dog?
As far as dog parenting goes, you’re nailing it. You fight for your dog's well-being but reckon outdated laws and dodgy business practices aren't cool. We agree, so Scratch makes dog food that puts dogs first. Our premium grain-free kibble recipes boast 28%+ sustainably-sourced protein, are rich in fibre for easy digestion and include four healthy oils to improve chronic skin conditions and enhance glow.
By cutting out the middlemen and delivering directly to you on a subscription tailored to your pup's needs, we can spend more on high quality Aussie ingredients with less markup. Plus, we have the most honest nutritional labelling in the industry.