$62,000 p/a pro-rata inc. super. 4-day week, work remotely if you wish.
Are you a dog lover with a soft spot for helping their humans? You’re just the kind of person we’re looking for.
As the latest human to join our team, you’ll help us to take a great customer experience and make it Australia’s best. You’ll solve problems for subscribers, work with the team as you identify common feedback and help to make the whole experience of finding, questioning and purchasing our products easier. And you’ll be doing so with a small team of 13 that put dogs and the planet at the top of their priority list.
Scratch is a small team aiming to become Australia’s most trusted dog food brand. Instead of going through stores where there’s tons of mark-ups and long waits in storage, we sell direct on subscription. This lets us know the dog & parent better, put more money into the food, and set an example for how much healthier & trustworthy pet food can be.
This approach has helped us win over tens of thousands of pet parents who trust us with their dog’s nutrition.
Our brand is crafted for a world where dogs have their own Insta accounts and no longer sleep in the yard. We want to capture that passion and create products for those who truly care.
The role is ideal for a thoughtful and positive personality that is looking to do work that matters in a company with lots of opportunity. Rather than churn through tickets, we want you to take pride in the way a customer feels about their Scratch experience.
The kind of things you might be working on:
- Speaking to potential and existing customers on live chat and email about their dogs and our products
- Adjusting customer accounts and gently teaching them how to use our website
- Talking with customers about how Scratch is going for them and their dogs
- Observing and noting feedback
- Working with the team to make the website easier to use so they don’t need to speak to you in the first place
- Packing and sending samples
You won’t be doing it all alone of course (you have 3 colleagues in customer service), but you’ll be integral in building the Scratch brand and developing our customer experience.
As the role and our company grows, you’ll also be instrumental in scaling our customer experience.
The right person will be:
- A lot like a good dog (friendly, energetic, fun, smart & loyal).
- An excellent written and verbal communicator (English, with a little emoji).
- Exceptionally helpful, but happy to stand up for themselves and what is fair.
- Self-motivated, thriving with space and responsibility for results.
- Calm and not flustered by customer problems or misunderstandings.
- Full of empathy for the customers point of view and situation.
- Efficient and detail-oriented.
- Comfortable speaking casually on social media and more formally on email.
- Happy to talk to customers on the phone too.
- A dog person (of course).
- Experienced in dog health/nutrition or eCommerce customer service. Bonus points for both!
Working at Scratch
This is a 4 day role (30.4 hours like most of the business – founders not included sorry Mike & Doug!), though we’re open to 5 days if you prefer. Salary is $62,000 (pro-rata), This isn’t an urgent role where you will come in and be under the pump straight away. We grow the business sustainably, so you’ll get started with thoughtful training and a mindful onboarding .
We treat our humans as well as our dogs – considering the planet, our people, our customers and their pets in everything that we do. We’re proudly Australia’s only B-Corp dog food company. Other perks include:
- 5 paid annual days to volunteer at animal shelters/rescues
- Free Scratch food for your dogs
- 3 paid Pawternity days if you bring home a puppy or rescue
- Time off if you have a sick pet (not just dog)
- Flexibility in work location (We have a Melbourne office but we’re remote-first)
- Co-working budget (if you’re outside of Melbourne) and home-office budget
- Industry-leading parental leave scheme for a small business (all parents are entitled to at least 8 weeks of fully paid leave)
We work primarily remotely so we can avoid peak hour, walk the dog when our brains need fresh air (or they do), look after the kids when they’re sick and be judged on the work we produce – not how long we’re in the office. It doesn’t work for everyone, so we have an office in Melbourne (Abbotsford to be exact) if you prefer, but all of our communication will be remote-based.
We do come together every few months and with a little notice, you can base yourself from pretty much anywhere when you want to mix it up, as long as great work gets done.
Applying for the role
- Applications are have now closed sorry!
- We will review applications and offer 1st and second round interviews in the week of October 23.
- We aim to make an offer that week, with an ideal start date on November 20 (we have flexibility).