$130,000 p/a pro-rata inc. super. 2 days a week. Work remotely.
Are you an organised and detail-oriented dog lover with strong experience in financial support? You’re just the kind of person we’re looking for.
In this role, you’ll help us pay our bills, communicate key info to management and ensure that we don’t run out of money! If we do that, our dogs will be fed and our team and suppliers happy.
Scratch is a small team aiming to become Australia’s most trusted dog food brand. Instead of going through stores where there’s tons of mark-ups and long waits in storage, we sell direct on subscription. This lets us know the dog & parent better, put more money into the food, and set an example for how much healthier & trustworthy pet food can be.
This approach has helped us win over tens of thousands of pet parents who trust us with their dog’s nutrition. These days, we have 11 employees, well over 20,000 subscribers, are sustainably run, have been profitable for years and are Australia’s only B-Corp pet food company.
Your key tasks will be:
- Managing forecasting and cost models (and improving them if you think we should).
- Advising on cashflow position and future capital requirements.
- Reporting to keep us accountable to forecasts.
- Managing payroll, accounts payable, end of month close and BAS with assistance from bookkeeper and external accountants.
- Manage insurance, payroll tax, workcover and paid parental leave compliance.
The right person will:
- Be a lot like a good dog (friendly, energetic, fun, smart & loyal).
- Love small business.
- Get enjoyment from seeing a company and their colleagues grow quickly.
- Know themselves well and live to their values.
- Have excellent written communication. Good verbal communication too hopefully!
- Exceptionally helpful, but happy to stand up for themselves and what is fair.
- Efficient and detail-oriented.
- Great at hitting deadlines.
- CA/CPA qualified.
- A dog person (of course).
This job is perfect for someone that loves small business, enjoys being part of strong growth, values clear communication and wants to make sure that they work in a fair, effective and enjoyable organisation.
It requires strong attention to detail, an analytical mind, clear written communication and pretty good time management skills. You’ll have the assistance of a bookkeeper and external accountants when required and be the leader of finance within our business.
This position reports directly to the co-founder Douglas Spiegelhauer.
It is a 2-day role so perfect for a parent not wanting to work full-time, or a finance professional wanting the variety of multiple companies. Salary starts at $130,000 p/a pro-rata inc. super.
You won’t have direct reports and we don’t have many meetings, so you’ll have control over your time to get things done at a nice, healthy pace.
We have an office in Collingwood (Melbourne), but operate remote-first and have our team spread around Australia. We’re all about the job getting done and the quality of work, so you have a lot of flexibility to manage your own time and work when you work best.
Applying for the role
Applications for this position have now closed.
We aim to contact successful applicants for a phone interview by February 10 and in-person interviews from February 13 – 17. We aim to make an offer that week, with an ideal start date early in March, with flexibility.