Head of Content
$90,000+p/a pro-rata, 4-day week, work remotely.
Are you a dog lover and wordsmith? You might be perfect as the voice of Scratch.
As the latest human to join our team, you’ll earn a good salary working four days a week, creating interesting content for people who love their dogs. And, you can do it from wherever you like. Yes, dream, meet job.
Scratch is a fast-growing brand that makes dog food you can feel good about. Instead of going through stores where there’s tons of mark-ups and long waits in storage, we sell direct on subscription. This lets us know the dog & parent better, put more money into the food, and set an example for how much healthier & trustworthy pet food can be.
This approach has helped us win both Frankie Mag’s 2019 Small Business of the Year and the Online Retail Industries Best Small Independent Business. More importantly, it has meant we’ve also won over thousands of pet parents who trust us with their dog’s nutrition.
Our brand is crafted for a world where dogs have their own Insta accounts and no longer sleep in the yard. We want to capture that passion and create products for those who truly care.
The role is ideal for an experienced copywriter or ex-journo with some good production chops to be responsible for the voice of Scratch. Rather than working to churn out crap, we want you to take pride in quality and overall impact (just like we do with our food).
The kind of things you might be working on:
- Storytelling for new products & events
- Working out whether it’s worth investing more time into our Instagram
- Writing and producing the content to support that decision
- Using social media to build more dialogue with our customers and their dogs
- Fostering a community and writing for our dog magazine, Off The Leash
- Creating a podcast to interview dog parents
- Producing video content from our events or educational partners
- Creating & testing advertising taglines
You won’t be doing it all alone of course, but you’ll be integral in building the Scratch brand and developing our own media properties.
You’ll report to and work with Mike Halligan, our co-founder who’s responsible for our brand & marketing strategy. Actually, we’re only small right now, so you’ll be working closely with everyone!
As the role and our company grows, you’ll also be instrumental in hiring a little content team to bring it all to life.
The right person will be:
- A lot like a good dog (friendly, energetic, fun, smart & loyal).
- An excellent written and verbal communicator.
- Able to spot grammatical errors in this job description.
- Up to speed with the Glossiers, Who Gives a Crap and Outdoor Voices of this world.
- Self-motivated, thriving with space and responsibility for results.
- Performance-orientated, welcoming analytics & data in any discussion.
- Clear on their beliefs and willing to fight for them, but commit even if they disagree.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape (but maybe with a soft spot for old school long-form copy).
- Committed to helping use business as a force for good in the world
- A dog person (of course).
Working at Scratch
This is a 4 day per week role (3-day weekends are underrated). Salary is $90,000+ per annum (pro-rata), dependant on experience, but the same no matter where you live.
We treat our humans as well as our dogs – considering the planet, our people, our customers and their pets in everything that we do. Other perks include:
- 5 paid annual days to volunteer at animal shelters/rescues
- Free Scratch food for your dogs
- 3 paid Pawternity days if you bring home a puppy or rescue
- Time off if you have a sick pet (not just dog)
- Flexibility work location
We want you to bring your own personality into this, adding to our young culture and helping to build a better kind of company for our furry compadres.
We work primarily remotely so we can avoid peak hour, walk the dog when our brains need fresh air (or they do), look after the kids when they’re sick and be judged on the work we produce – not how long we’re in the office. It doesn’t work for everyone, but hopefully it does for you.
It might be easier if you’re Melbourne based as we’ll have an office (dog-friendly) that you can work from when you like, and most events & content opportunities are here. However, you can base yourself from pretty much anywhere when you want to mix it up, as long as great work gets done.
Applying for the role
Applications closed on October 9, with a phone interview in the week of October 14 – 17 and in-person interviews from October 18 – 29. We aim to make an offer that week, with an ideal start date in mid November.